How Do You Use a BBQ Mat?
First, were you looking for the type of bbq mat that you put under your bbq grill to catch splatters and protect your deck or patio? If so, click here, because you’re in the wrong place. Otherwise read on about the bbq grill mat, the nonstick cooking surface for your barbecue.
You’d think the answer to the question would be obvious – you put the bbq mat on the barbecue grate and you cook on it, and that’s how you use a bbq mat. Well, yes, it’s almost that simple, but you’d be amazed at some of the pictures I receive from customers showing what people have done to their bbq mats – simply because they don’t know how to use them properly.
First of all, a bbq mat isn’t much to look at. It’s nothing more than a large rectangle of flexible black material. (If you want to know more about how bbq mats are constructed and what they’re made from, click here). But don’t let appearances deceive you. If you’ve purchased a high quality bbq grill mat, then you’ve actually acquired a high end cooking and barbecuing tool. You’ll need to treat it appropriately.
Caring for your BBQ Mat
In many ways a bbq mat needs to be cared for like any other expensive nonstick cookware. Keep the heat on low or medium and never expose the bbq mat to temperatures above 500 degrees Fahrenheit. I realize there are some manufacturers out there that are claiming their mats are good up to 600 degrees, but all bbq grill mats are made from the same material, and the 500 degree limit is set by the FDA – because of the fact that a bbq mat will begin to break down under higher temperatures, possibly contaminating the air and your food.
Use the Correct Tools
Don’t use metal tools and even when using the correct tools, silicone or soft plastic, don’t scrape the surface of the bbq mat excessively. Turning foods with a pair of silicone tipped tongs is preferable to flipping them with a spatula.
Be Smart About What You’re Cooking
Don’t cook sticky sauces and other sticky foods on the mats. As with nonstick pans there are going to be foods that stick to them and will be difficult to clean off. Use common sense.
I use the bbq mats to cook fresh vegetables, chicken, certain fish, shrimp, hash browns, bacon, sausage, pancakes and fried eggs, for example. But I don’t cook steak on them because I like my steaks cooked on high heat and cooked quickly. The high heat cooking is not appropriate for a bbq mat. And some whitefish is just too sticky and will make a mess of the mat.
BBQ Mat Rule of Thumb
So here’s a rule of thumb for cooking with a BBQ grill mat. Don’t use the bbq mats to replace techniques you are already using on the grill – techniques that are working for you. Instead, use the bbq mats to expand your grilling options; Use them to grill things that weren’t possible without a bbq mat. Or use them to grill in a different, hopefully better way. If you’re looking for grill marks, then stick the food directly on the grill, for pete’s sake. And try slow cooking pork or chicken on a bbq mat to retain flavor and moisture. I think the results are phenomenally better.
Lastly, there are a lot more uses for a bbq mat than being able to fry eggs on a grill. You can use them for a range of nonstick applications. They can be cut to any size or shape as long as you’re using very sharp cutting tools. You can use them in the bottom of your oven as a drip catcher, in your stovetop wells, in a smoker, on cookie sheets, as a baking sheet or for anything else you can imagine, as long as you follow the temperature rules.
Hope that helps. Happy grilling, Chef Caron
Chef Caron Non Stick BBQ Grill Mats - Set of 2 - for Gas, Charcoal, Pellet Grills - Magic Mat As Seen on TV - Large Professional Cooking Mat - Keep Your Barbecue Grate Clean - Grill the Un-grillable
- BBQ GRILL MATS ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL: Grill Grate Mats differ in size, weight, thickness and coeffecient of friction (COF) or slickness; and it is in these features that you can differentiate quality. A Chef Caron Barbecue Grilling Mat is .25mm thick, about 17 inches in length, has the lowest COF of any mats available, and also has extra layers of PTFE for ease of use and cleaning - making it a great addition to your bbq grilling and cooking tools. to your bbq grilling and cooking tools.
- CONVENIENT AND VERSATILE BBQ TOOLS: These bbq cooking accessories eliminate the need for grate cleaning tools by protecting the grill from foods that stick and burn on the grates. The best feature, though, is that a barbecue cooking mat (grill mat) will allow you to prepare foods on the grill that were previously impossible, including foods such as chopped vegetables, small seafood, and even breakfast foods like fried eggs, pancakes, sausages and hash browns.
- BBQ GIFT IDEAS: As bbq gifts go, this is one of the best. The barbecue mat can be used as a gas grill mat, a charcoal grill mat, as well as with pellet and electric grills (just be aware of the 500 degree limit). The non stick grill mats can even be cut to any size and used as oven liners, bbq smoking accessories, stove top protectors, cooking sheets, casserole dishes, and many other non stick applications - even bbq smoker accessories, in fire pits, and other types of outdoor cooking.
- GROSS GUNK: That disgusting buildup of burnt food on the grates is an ongoing problem with bbq grills, and so is the accumulation of burned food that has fallen through the cracks creating a greasy mess in the bottom of your barbecue grill. Aside from the increased risk of grill fires, it's just plain unsightly and unappetizing. When you add a BBQ Grill Mat to your bbq accessories kit, you can eliminate both problems. You can actually toss your bbq cleaning tools.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY: The Chef Caron BBQ Grill Mat Sets and Gift Packs are backed by a full Manufacturer Guarantee which provides you with your money back or a replacement if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase. You only need to contact us if you have a problem and we will make it right.
Quiseen BBQ Grill Mat, Thick, Durable, Non-Stick, Set of 2 Mats
- Multi-purpose - can be used for indirect cooking on gas, electric and charcoal grill
- Keeps food from touching grates of falling through
- Allows for grill marks and grill taste
- Set of 2 (15.75 x 13 inches) mats
- Thick and durable
BBQ Grill Sheets Mat ,100% Non Stick Safe ,Extra Thick,Reusable and Dishwasher safe, 5 piece of (13"x15.75")
4 used from $ 6.71
- 100% non stick - protect your bbq grill and bbq parts with these revolutionary 100% non stick grilling sheets, nothing at all will stick to this grill mat
- Excellent temperature resistance - continuous working from -100 degreef to +500 degreef (-70 degreec +260 degreec). up to 380 degreec
- No mess - more grilling and less cleaning up
- Durable & reusable - unbeatable lifetime no questions guarantee
- Fda approved and dishwasher safe - all of our bbq accessories are approved by the fda and are safe for use on the top shelf of your dishwasher
As Seen on TV Yoshi Copper Grill & Bake Mat (2 Pack), Copper
1 used from $ 6.00
- 100% Non Stick - food slides right off!
- Contains 2 mats for grilling and/or baking - each measure 15.75" x 13"
- Infused with real copper, PFOA Free and can withstand heat up to 500 degrees
- Reusable and Reversible, you can even cut to fit!
- Dishwasher safe or wipe clean
SUMGOTT Non-Stick BBQ Grill Mat, Perfect for Charcoal, Electric and Gas Grill, Reusable, Easy to Clean, Essential Grilling Accessories for Home Cooks and Grillers, Set of 3
- Fast and easy clean up: No more scrubbing grill grates every time you cook
- Makes grilling easy: Easier to use than a grill pan or basket and more effective than aluminum foil that rips when you flip your food
- Better than any grill pan or basket, our mat can be cut to any size or shape to fit any need, also doubles as a bake mat
- Multipurpose - our cooking mat works with any kind of barbecue grill - weber, charbroil, big green egg, smoker, charcoal, propane, gas or electric
- Don't fear the flame: Prevents flare ups caused from dripped grease that cause your meat to become charred and dry and ruin your meal
Drymate GMC2842 Gas Grill Mat, 28" x 42", Charcoal
- Protects cement, wood, and synthetic decking from food and grease stains preventing costly damage
- Stain resistant and durable with waterproof backing that prevents messes from soaking through to other surfaces
- Easy to roll up for compact storage during the off season
- Made of PVC-free material with a neutral charcoal color that looks great on any surface and with most grills
- Proudly made in the USA