Grill Mats – Which Type Do You Mean?
You probably arrived at this page because you were searching for “Grill Mats.” This means you are most definitely looking for one of two things, and we need to get you headed in the right direction by figuring out which one you’re searching for.
Are you looking for the type that are used to place on the deck, patio or ground under the barbecue grill that look like the image to the left? If this is what you’re looking for, click on the image and you will be transferred to the page that reviews that type of grill mats.
. . . or are you looking for the bbq Grill Mats that you place on the grates of the barbecue grill to use as a cooking surface? If this is what you’re looking for then read on. You’re in the right place.
Grill Mats – What Are They?
They go by many different names. They are referred to as bbq grill mats, grilling mats, nonstick cooking mats, baking mats, Teflon® sheets, reusable grill mats, bbq sheets, barbecue grill mats, etc. That’s only a few of the different references people use, but you get the idea. They all refer to the same item or product.
Grill Mats are a thin rectangle of flexible material (between .1mm and .25mm thick, depending on quality) that have the same nonstick features as a Teflon® pan. They are usually around 13 x 16 inches in size, and are currently available in either black or tan coloration. They can be rolled up and can be cut to different shapes and sizes for a large variety of nonstick applications. More on that later.
Grill Mats are produced with the same nonstick surfacing that is used in other nonstick cookware, but there are some major differences. The nonstick material used for both pans grill mats, is called PTFE which is short for polytetrafluoroethylene. In the case of grill mats, the PTFE is applied to a piece of wide-weave cloth – the same type used as an under-surface for fiberglassing. It’s important to point out that a grill mat does not contain any fiberglass, just the cloth used in fiberglass applications.
In the production of a grill mat, because the PTFE is being applied to a flexible surface, we are able to apply a much thicker layer of the nonstick coating. With more a higher quality (and more expensive) grill mat, such as Kona and Chef Caron, the PTFE is applied to the point where there is very little surface texture, creating an ultra-slick surface that is quite durable and still completely flexible.
Grill mats are easy to use. You simply place them directly on your grill grate and cook your food on them. As with any nonstick cookware, the FDA has set safety limits on the temperature levels. You’ll never want to use any of your nonstick cookware, including the grill mats, at temperatures above 500 degrees fahrenheit. PTFE is highly stable and impervious to water and even harsh chemical solvents within that temperature range. Not that you’re going to be cooking any chemical solvents, but I’m just pointing out that it’s impossible to damage a grill mat by cooking on it, UNLESS YOU OVERHEAT THEM! I put that in all caps because people do overheat them and yes, it does ruin the mats.
One reason that so many mats get damaged by excess heat is because the users don’t realize that you can’t grill the same way with grill mats as you would without them. For example, even though I use grill mats constantly on my barbecue, I still cook most meats the traditional way, with very high heat and short cook times. You wouldn’t want to use grill mats when doing that type of grilling. Stick with what you know, and use the grill mats for things you can’t do without them – like making breakfast on the grill with bacon, pancakes, sausage, fried eggs and hashbrowns, for example, or cook chopped vegetables, fish or shrimp.
Are They All The Same?
If you’ve been shopping for grill mats you will have noticed that prices range from just a few dollars up to around twenty dollars for a set of two mats. Why this big price difference? Easily explained. You can manufacture a grill mat for as little as 60 cents. That will be a very thin mat (.1mm), small in size (13 x 15), with the lightest possible amount of PTFE. This is what you can accurately call a “cheap grill mat,” and you could probably get them on Amazon for as little as $6 a set. You’ll be lucky to get more than a few uses out of them before they disintegrate. In this case you get exactly what you pay for.
On the other end of the equation you can purchase a mat that is thick (.25mm), large in size (13.5 x 17), and has multiple applications of PTFE. You can identify these grill mats with generous PTFE, because the texture of the underlying cloth is almost invisible. On cheaper mats you can clearly see the checkerboard of the cloth through the thin layer of PTFE. This type of mat is expensive to produce and will be easy to use, easy to clean and will last a long time if you don’t overheat it.
The Chef Caron BBQ Grill Mats
Chef Caron Non Stick BBQ Grill Mats - Set of 2 - for Gas, Charcoal, Pellet Grills - Magic Mat As Seen on TV - Large Professional Cooking Mat - Keep Your Barbecue Grate Clean - Grill the Un-grillable
- BBQ GRILL MATS ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL: Grill Grate Mats differ in size, weight, thickness and coeffecient of friction (COF) or slickness; and it is in these features that you can differentiate quality. A Chef Caron Barbecue Grilling Mat is .25mm thick, about 17 inches in length, has the lowest COF of any mats available, and also has extra layers of PTFE for ease of use and cleaning - making it a great addition to your bbq grilling and cooking tools. to your bbq grilling and cooking tools.
- CONVENIENT AND VERSATILE BBQ TOOLS: These bbq cooking accessories eliminate the need for grate cleaning tools by protecting the grill from foods that stick and burn on the grates. The best feature, though, is that a barbecue cooking mat (grill mat) will allow you to prepare foods on the grill that were previously impossible, including foods such as chopped vegetables, small seafood, and even breakfast foods like fried eggs, pancakes, sausages and hash browns.
- BBQ GIFT IDEAS: As bbq gifts go, this is one of the best. The barbecue mat can be used as a gas grill mat, a charcoal grill mat, as well as with pellet and electric grills (just be aware of the 500 degree limit). The non stick grill mats can even be cut to any size and used as oven liners, bbq smoking accessories, stove top protectors, cooking sheets, casserole dishes, and many other non stick applications - even bbq smoker accessories, in fire pits, and other types of outdoor cooking.
- GROSS GUNK: That disgusting buildup of burnt food on the grates is an ongoing problem with bbq grills, and so is the accumulation of burned food that has fallen through the cracks creating a greasy mess in the bottom of your barbecue grill. Aside from the increased risk of grill fires, it's just plain unsightly and unappetizing. When you add a BBQ Grill Mat to your bbq accessories kit, you can eliminate both problems. You can actually toss your bbq cleaning tools.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY: The Chef Caron BBQ Grill Mat Sets and Gift Packs are backed by a full Manufacturer Guarantee which provides you with your money back or a replacement if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase. You only need to contact us if you have a problem and we will make it right.
Drymate GMC2842 Gas Grill Mat, 28" x 42", Charcoal
- Protects cement, wood, and synthetic decking from food and grease stains preventing costly damage
- Stain resistant and durable with waterproof backing that prevents messes from soaking through to other surfaces
- Easy to roll up for compact storage during the off season
- Made of PVC-free material with a neutral charcoal color that looks great on any surface and with most grills
- Proudly made in the USA
SUMGOTT Non-Stick BBQ Grill Mat, Perfect for Charcoal, Electric and Gas Grill, Reusable, Easy to Clean, Essential Grilling Accessories for Home Cooks and Grillers, Set of 3
- Fast and easy clean up: No more scrubbing grill grates every time you cook
- Makes grilling easy: Easier to use than a grill pan or basket and more effective than aluminum foil that rips when you flip your food
- Better than any grill pan or basket, our mat can be cut to any size or shape to fit any need, also doubles as a bake mat
- Multipurpose - our cooking mat works with any kind of barbecue grill - weber, charbroil, big green egg, smoker, charcoal, propane, gas or electric
- Don't fear the flame: Prevents flare ups caused from dripped grease that cause your meat to become charred and dry and ruin your meal
As Seen on TV Yoshi Copper Grill & Bake Mat (2 Pack), Copper
- 100% Non Stick - food slides right off!
- Contains 2 mats for grilling and/or baking - each measure 15.75" x 13"
- Infused with real copper, PFOA Free and can withstand heat up to 500 degrees
- Reusable and Reversible, you can even cut to fit!
- Dishwasher safe or wipe clean
Quiseen BBQ Grill Mat, Thick, Durable, Non-Stick, Set of 2 Mats
- Multi-purpose - can be used for indirect cooking on gas, electric and charcoal grill
- Keeps food from touching grates of falling through
- Allows for grill marks and grill taste
- Set of 2 (15.75 x 13 inches) mats
- Thick and durable
BBQ Grill Sheets Mat ,100% Non Stick Safe ,Extra Thick,Reusable and Dishwasher safe, 5 piece of (13"x15.75")
3 used from $ 5.24
- 100% non stick - protect your bbq grill and bbq parts with these revolutionary 100% non stick grilling sheets, nothing at all will stick to this grill mat
- Excellent temperature resistance - continuous working from -100 degreef to +500 degreef (-70 degreec +260 degreec). up to 380 degreec
- No mess - more grilling and less cleaning up
- Durable & reusable - unbeatable lifetime no questions guarantee
- Fda approved and dishwasher safe - all of our bbq accessories are approved by the fda and are safe for use on the top shelf of your dishwasher
Classic Cuisine Non-Stick Reusable BBQ Grill Mat (Set of 2), Black
- Set of Two BBQ Grill Mats for Indirect Grilling on Gas, Charcoal and Electric Grills
- 100% Non-Stick, PTFE, Reusable, Both Sides Useable
- Wash in Warm Soapy Water, Dry with Soft Cloth and Lay Flat When Not In Use, Dishwasher Safe Top Rack Only
- Do Not Use Above 500 degrees, Do Not Use Directly Over Open Flame or Heat Source, Do Not Use as Cutting Board
- Follow All Directions for Indirect Cooking from Grill Manufacture, FDA and LFGB Approved, Dimensions: 15.75 Inch x 13 Inch