Best Non Stick Cookware Review
Reviewing all the options currently available in non stick cookware is a daunting task to say the least. It’s not just that there are so many non stick cookware brands to wade through, though there are for sure. But more than that, it’s the fact that there are so many different opinions about what the phrase “the best non stick cookware” actually means. What makes it the best? There are several camps of thought on that issue. Let’s take a look.
What do people mean by “best non stick cookware?”
Scanning through the forums that deal with the subject of where to find the best non stick pots and pans, the most common thread I found was regarding safe non stick pans. There’s a lot of concern currently about the safety of the tools we use to cook our food. And justifiably so.
Is there such a thing as a green non stick pan?
For me the answer to that issue is simple, though a lot of people won’t agree with me on this. I believe the safest non stick cookware, and therefore the best non stick cookware, is stainless steel and second to stainless is cast iron. Many of you won’t even agree that those are non stick surfaces at all. And if you’re comparing them to Teflon@ style products and spinoffs from that type of non stick surface, you’d be right. But if you’re truly looking for some healthy non stick pans, those are the only ones that I would confidently say are completely non toxic. And they are actually non stick cookware if you learn how to use them correctly. I’ll do another post on that later.
Is there any other safe non stick cookware?
Well let’s be pragmatic here. Safety is a relative issue for many and it is often balanced with convenience. For example, it’s statistically safer not to drive a car but we accept the risk for the convenience – and most of us take measures to minimize the risk by driving sensibly. We can apply the same concept to examining the top rated non stick pans.
The two main problems with toxicity from non stick surfaces are particulates in the food and off-gassing. You can virtually eliminate both of these issues with proper and careful cooking techniques. Keep your heat low to moderate at all times. Never turn your burners on high, even to warm up the pan, and never expose the pan to sudden temperature changes. I’ve seen people take a Teflon® pot out of the refrigerator and put it on a hot stove. I’ve seem them take a hot pan and run cold water on it. These practices are not good. They wear down the non stick coating on the pan and cause it to break down, which means it’s going to end up in your food.
If you’re concerned about toxicity, you should also learn to toss the food in the pan instead of using a spatula. If you do use a spatula use a soft one. Even wood is a bit harsh for a Teflon® style non stick pan or ceramic too, for that matter. Silicone is the least problematic and if you do use a spatula keep the pressure light – the more you scrape on the pan with anything the harder it is on the non stick coatings.
All right already, so which is the best non stick cookware?
Okay, so if you don’t consider stainless steel or cast iron to be non stick pans, then which brand offers the non stick kitchen set? Well, you’ll have to decide if you want to go with the old style Teflon™ pans, or the ceramic coated cookware, or the new style of copper non stick cookware that has a ceramic style non stick coating on the surface.
If price is a consideration for you all of those options are still viable because every style of non stick cookware comes with a wide price range. Generally, the prices reflect the quality of the pan. So just remember you get what you pay for. For example a ten dollar piece of non stick ceramic cookware is not going to hold up as well or perform as well as a fifty dollar one.
Like I said earlier, I consider stainless steel to be the best non stick cooking surface, but if I had to choose from the three “truly non stick” surfaces, I’d take the copper. This isn’t a random or arbitrary choice. Copper is absolutely the best metal for quick heat absorption and uniform heat distribution. The copper is coated with a ceramic like non stick surface that isn’t as slick as PTFE non stick surfaces (i.e. Teflon®) but is more convenient to use and clean than a stainless steel pan with no coating.
According to the manufacturers, the non stick surfacing on the copper non stick pot set is tougher than PTFE and more scratch resistant. It also withstands the heat better. This doesn’t mean you can cook on high heat or use metal utensils them. It means if you exercise the same caution as you would on teflon cookware that your non teflon pans will last a lot longer and be safer to use.
It’s worth adding that I’m not alone in my position on this. Currently the copper non stick pots and pans are the top rated non stick pans across the board. So they get my vote for the best non stick cookware if you don’t want to deal with uncoated stainless steel.
There you have it.
T-fal E765SC Ultimate Hard Anodized Scratch Resistant Titanium Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Anti-Warp Base Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe PFOA Free Cookware Set, 12-Piece, Gray
9 used from $ 48.00
- Hard anodized aluminum construction for durability
- Unique Thermo-Spot heat indicator for proper preheating
- Hard Titanium nonstick interior for the ultimate and longest lasting performance
- Riveted silicone handles for safety and comfort
- TechnoResist Anti-warp Base; Oven safe to 400F; Lifetime Limited Warranty
Cook N Home 15 Piece Non stick Black Soft handle Cookware Set
2 used from $ 48.12
- Tempered glass lids makes viewing food easy from start to finish
- Nonstick coating provides long lasting superior nonstick performance
- Soft touch handles stay cool when cooking, anti-slip silicone on handle make it comfortable
- Heavy gauge aluminum is super conductive for even heat distribution
- Easy clean exterior; Not for Induction Stove top
GreenLife Soft Grip 14pc Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set, Turquoise
- ThermolonTM healthy ceramic non-stick coating manufactured without PFAS and PFOA
- Sturdy aluminum body without lead and cadmium
- Stay-cool Bakelite handle and oven safe up to 350°F
- Dishwasher safe
Copper Chef 8" /11" Deep Dish Pan 4 Pc Set
5 used from $ 65.99
- 8" and 11" Inch Casserole Deep Dish Pan
- 8" and 11" Square Tempered Glass Lid
- Oven safe up to 850°
- PTFE &PFOA Free
- Stainless Steel Induction Plate for Even Heat Distibution
Trisha Yearwood Royal Precious Metals 10 Piece Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware Set, Copper
- Coated with Thermolon healthy ceramic non-stick interior for perfect food release and quick cleanup
- Heavy gauge aluminum cookware, strong & lightweight
- Suitable for all stove tops, except induction
- Comfortable bakelite handle
- Dishwasher safe
BulbHead Red Copper Non-Stick Square Ceramic 5 piece Cookware Set
1 used from $ 32.05
- 5-Piece set includes: Red Copper Square Pan, tempered glass lid, steamer rack, square frying basket, Red Copper recipe guide
- Square pan features extra-high sides for double the surface space, Ideal for stovetop cooking, baking and sauteing; oven-safe up to 500 degree F
- Made from nonstick ceramic and copper-infused surface won't scratch, chip, or peel into your food. without any PFOA and PTFE
- Dishwasher safe, or hand wash with mild soap and water and soft, scrubber and the Pan measures 10" x 10", capacity 4.5 quarts
Cook N Home 12-Piece Stainless Steel Set
- Mirror polished stainless steel, inside and outside, capsulated bottom for even heat distribution
- Suitable for all cooking source electric and gas stove or glass and ceramic
- Capsuled bottom with aluminum disc inside for even heating
- Stainless handle rivet to body provide durability
- Tempered glass lid to clear view while cooking
T-fal E469SC Tri-ply Stainless Steel Multi-clad Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Cookware Set, 12-Piece, Silver
7 used from $ 92.74
- Bonded tri-ply stainless, aluminum, stainless cookware for optimum heat conductivity and cooking performance
- Suitable for gas, electric, ceramic glass, or induction stovetops
- Flared rim for clean pouring; tempered glass lids to monitor cooking progress and are oven safe to 350 degree f
- Stainless cookware is oven safe to 550 degree f; suitable for gas, electric, ceramic glass, or induction stovetops
- Dishwasher safe and life time warranty provided
HUANYU Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 12 Piece
- 12 Pieces set includes: 9.5-inch (3.1-Quart) Frypan with lid | 1.9-Quart Sauce Pan with lid | 1.9-Quart, 2.6-Quart, 3.7-Quart, 6.4-Quart Casseroles with Lids
- Mirror polished stainless steel inside and outside, stainless steel and aluminum encapsulated in the base for fast and even heating
- Larger than standard size, good quality thickness, with net weight of 17 lbs. and gross weight of 18.3 lbs.
- Dishwasher-safe, oven-safe to 500 degrees, suitable for cooking source electric, induction, gas and ceramic
- Tempered glass lid for easy viewing
T-fal C996SE Initiatives Nonstick Ceramic Coating PTFE PFOA and Cadmium Free Scratch Resistant Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Cookware Set, 14-Piece, Black
4 used from $ 49.16
- Innovative ceramic interior offers superior stain resistance, superior scratch resistance. The most durable coating suitable for all cooking utensils.
- Quality ceramic non-stick interior promotes healthy cooking by lessening the need for fats and oils.
- The heavy gauge aluminum construction offers efficient cooking, even heat distribution and durable usage. The Egg Wonder fry pan is paper wrap and placed on inside shrink Dutch oven with lid down, along with literature.
- The Ceramic interior is PTFE-Free, PFOA-Free and Cadmium-Free
- Limited Lifetime Warranty. Safe for all cooking methods except induction. Cooking surface able to reach 570 Degrees F; oven safe to 350 Degrees F; Dishwasher Safe
Rachael Ray Cucina Hard Porcelain Enamel Nonstick Cookware Set, 12-Piece, Agave Blue
5 used from $ 81.67
- Rachael Ray Cucina Cookware features rustic, modern color, functionality and design to enhance mealtime warmth and hospitality, It includes two covered saucepans (1-qt/ 3-qt), one 6-qt covered stockpot, two skillets (8-in/10-in), and one 3-qt covered saute pan
- Crafted with durable aluminum and sturdy hard enamel porcelain exteriors; espresso-colored, PFOA-free nonstick releases foods effortlessly
- The 12-piece cookware set boasts dual-riveted rubberized stainless steel handles and shatter-resistant glass lids; includes slotted turner and spoon
- Oven safe to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, the pots and pans are suitable for all stovetops, except induction
- Lifetime Limited Warranty for cookware that is a welcome addition to serveware, dinnerware and other pieces in the Rachael Ray Cucina collection
T-fal C728SE Initiatives Nonstick Ceramic Coating PTFE PFOA and Cadmium Free Scratch Resistant Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Cookware Set, 14-Piece, Gold
- Ceramic non-stick interior that resists scratching and staining
- Exceptionally durable dishwasher safe cookware for easy clean up
- Non-stick exterior is a breeze to clean
- Even heat base delivers even heat distribution for reliable cooking results
- Ceramic cooking surface resists heat up to 570° Fahrenheit