Ceramic Non Stick Pans
Are the new ceramic non stick pans any different than the old Teflon® ones?
Surprisingly, the ceramic non stick pans are different in many ways. Let’s take a look at the differences. Teflon® and all other PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) non stick coatings have an upward heat limitation of 500 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a limitation defined by the FDA, who says that the PTFE will begin to break down at temperatures above that limit. Obviously, it’s not a magic cutoff point, but the issue is that you don’t want to use teflon pans, PTFE cookware or BBQ grill mats anywhere near 500 degrees.
The ceramic non stick pans, on the other hand, will withstand heat a bit above 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This provides a significant advantage in terms of durability and longevity. If you employ the same practices you would with a PTFE coated pan – low and medium heat only, not radical temperature changes, soft spatulas only and no abrasive cleaners – you will get significantly more use out of the ceramic non stick pans than the old style PTFE cookware.
Another point about the heat resistance of the ceramic coatings is that the manufacturers claim that even when the pans are overheated they don’t emit toxic fumes like the PTFE coated pans do. Is this true? I couldn’t say for sure but it sure would be great if it is, wouldn’t it?
Are the ceramic non stick pans really non stick?
My experience is that you need to be a lot more careful about how you use the ceramic coatings in regard to their non stick properties. There are foods that do stick to them such as whitefish and certain marinades and sauces. This is true of Teflon® and PTFE pans too, but I find the ceramic coatings to be a bit trickier.
The manufacturers of Greblon and Thermolon, two of the top non stick ceramic brands, claim that the ceramic non stick pans have superior non stick properties over Teflon® and other PTFE coated pans. If there is any difference in the non stick properties between ceramic and PTFE it is a subtle one, otherwise there wouldn’t be any difference of opinion about it. So I think it comes down to what you’re trying to cook more than anything else.
In spite of the fact that the ceramic non stick pans are more durable and more resistant to scratching and corrosion than the PTFE coated pans, most people report that the don’t last as long. This is partially due to the thickness of the coatings. PTFE pans multiple layers of nonstick surfacing while non stick ceramic pans use only a single thin layer. It keeps them affordable, but cuts down on their lifespan.
Making your non stick pans last
A large part of how long your non stick pans will last has to do with the way you treat them, of course. So whether you buy ceramic non stick pans or PTFE cookware, follow these simple rules to get the maximum lifespan from your pans.
1. Use low and medium heat when cooking. Don’t turn the burner on high because you’re in a hurry to heat up the pan. That’s the main way pans get incinerated. Just don’t do it.
2. Never expose your pans to sudden temperature changes. The most common way this is done is by putting the hot pan under the faucet and running water on it. Very bad.
3. When you wash your pans never use any abrasive pads or cleaners. Just stick to a dish cloth or a sponge.
4. Don’t use metal utensils with the non stick pans. I don’t even use wood, because even though it is softer than the metal, it is hard enough to scratch the non stick surface. I use soft plastic and silicone only.
So how do the non stick ceramic pans stack up?
It depends on what your priorities are. If you are concerned about environmental impact and food safety, in my opinion the ceramic non stick pans are a better choice than the PTFE cookware.
If you’re priority is to buy the pan that will last the longest, the PTFE pans would be your choice. Hope that helps.
GreenLife Soft Grip 14pc Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set, Turquoise
- ThermolonTM healthy ceramic non-stick coating manufactured without PFAS and PFOA
- Sturdy aluminum body without lead and cadmium
- Stay-cool Bakelite handle and oven safe up to 350°F
- Dishwasher safe
Cook N Home NC-00359 Nonstick Ceramic Coating 10-Piece Cookware Set, Red
1 used from $ 481.55
- Nonstick Ceramic coating is PTFE-Free, PFOA-Free, cadmium and lead free, Ceramic coating provide superior scratch resistant than traditional nonstick
- Cookware use thick gauge aluminum material provide super heat conductive without any hot-spot in bottom
- Anti-slip coating on handle provide a soft feeling when touch handle, make it comfortable and stay cool during cooking
- Exterior is color paint resistant to high temperature and easy to clean
- Tempered glass lids makes viewing food easy from start to finish; Not for Induction Stove top
Healthy Nonstick Ceramic Coated Frying Pan - 3 Pcs Eco Friendly Durable Fry Pan Cookware Set (8", 10" & 12" Pans)
- 3 Pcs healthy ceramic coated nonstick frying pan set
- Ceramic coating provides excellent nonstick cooking without the toxins or dangerous chemicals
- Stylish red exterior design with black stay cool bakelite handles
- 0.3mm thick heavy gauge aluminum construction for perfect heat distribution and durability
- Set comes with most used sizes; 8", 10" and 12" diameter Frying pans
Ozeri 12” Green Earth Frying Pan, Textured Ceramic Non-Stick Coating, PTFE and PFOA Free
1 used from $ 29.99
- Unlike other ceramic cookware brands, the Ozeri pan utilizes GREBLON ceramic - an ultra-safe ceramic coating from Germany which is 100% PTFE, PFOA, APEO, NMP and NEP Free (absolutely no controversial chemicals).
- Innovative textured pan surface delivers enhanced heat distribution and unprecedented non-stick performance without releasing harmful fumes or toxins at high temperatures.
- Features a scratch-resistant 100 percent ceramic coating that is super easy to clean.
- Made out of durable heavy-gauge die-cast aluminum with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals.
- Boasts a comfortable heat resistant silicon coated handle, and a magnetized induction stove safe base for rapid heat transfer.
Calphalon 1937375 Classic Ceramic Nonstick Omelet Fry Pan with Cover, 12", Grey/White
2 used from $ 26.02
- PFOA-free ceramic nonstick cooking surface for easy food release and quick cleanup
- Durable for easy, everyday cooking
- Hard-anodized aluminum construction
- Cast stainless steel long handle stays cool on the stovetop
- Oven safe to 450 degrees F
GreenPan Lima 12" Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Frypan
1 used from $ 24.49
- GreenPan is the pioneer of healthy ceramic non-stick: safe cookware that doesn't contain any toxic chemicals or persistent pollutants and is easy to use
- Thermolon ceramic non-stick is manufactured without PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium. The coating won't blister, peel or release any harmful fumes, even if you accidently overheat your pan
- With durable construction for excellent heat conduction and reliable cooking results
- The riveted stainless steel handles are contoured for a relaxed and comfortable grip
- The convenient glass lids allow for easy food monitoring without losing the heat and are oven safe up to 420°F
GreenLife Soft Grip 12" Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Turquoise
3 used from $ 16.97
- Thermolon healthy ceramic non-stick coating, manufactured without PFOA
- Stay-cool bakelite handle with soft touch
- Classic aluminum body
- Oven safe up to 180 Degree C/350 Degree F
- Dishwasher safe